Monta Loma’s Parent Teacher Association (PTA) is a non-profit organization made up of members of the community who work in partnership with the staff and students of Monta Loma Elementary School to create a safe, fun, and enriching place of learning. We are parents, grandparents, guardians, teachers, staff members, neighbors, and others in the surrounding community committed to increasing the success of our school in a variety of ways including building community, raising money, and volunteering.
We plan, coordinate and execute a variety of enrichment and social events that directly impact the lives of the Monta Loma community. We are separate from MVEF, which raises money for the Mountain View Whisman School District (MVWSD).
Monta Loma PTA is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and is part of the Sixth District PTA (Santa Clara County), of the California State PTA, affiliated with the National PTA. We are also served by the Los Altos Mountain View PTA Council.
We prioritize enrichment through community building, fundraising and volunteering to ensure that all students have access to after-school activities, field trips, fully supplied classrooms and more!
- Host community-wide social events throughout the year including Juice Box Social, Parent Meet & Greets, Movie Nights, and Game Night.
- Plan and organize community based Fundraising events including Fall Festival and Walk-A-Thon.
- Fully fund 2-3 school-wide assemblies (e.g. Lawrence Hall of Science and a Performing Arts Assembly) each year.
- Subsidize school field trips to places such as Deer Hollow Farm, the Baylands, and the Palo Alto Children’s Museum and Zoo.
- Coordinate after-school enrichment activities like Lego Robotics, Soccer, Art Club, Chess Club and others as available.
- Provide academic enrichment by directing funding to the Monta Loma librarian’s book purchasing fund, teacher’s classroom supplies accounts, as well as organizing the Used Book Sale.
- Celebrate Monta Loma’s Staff and Teachers by coordinating Staff Appreciation events.
- Fundraise through Restaurant Nights, Box Top Collections, and vendor giveback programs such as eScrip and Mabel’s Labels.
The number one reason to join the PTA is to benefit your child. In doing so, you also help your school. But there are many more PTA advantages:
- Get Connected. There’s no better way to know what’s happening in your school.
- Have a Say. PTA can be a way for you to more effectively suggest change at your child’s school. All members are invited (and encouraged!) to participate in Association Meetings in conjunction with a Principal’s Coffee every other month beginning on the 4th Friday in September. There you can speak up on issues that matter to you, participate in the planning and execution of the events we hold, and vote on a variety of PTA matters including the budget.
- Tap into a Network. PTA functions are opportunities to meet other parents and teachers, build rapport and discuss issues that are on your mind. You can share ideas, concerns, and experiences. Monta Loma PTA members are often a visible and collective force at City of Mountain View social events and at MVWSD town hall meetings. Many of the decisions that impact children’s education are made by district, state, or federal officials. PTA gives parents a united and powerful voice, a seat at the decision-making table and the tools to influence change that will better the lives of all children.
- Discover Great Resources. PTA network offers a variety of programs designed for parents as well as students. Grants/ scholarships are also available to teachers. Membership to the Monta Loma PTA gives each parent access to resources offered at each level of the PTA organization, including the National PTA. For example, Los Altos Mountain View PTA Council helps sponsor the MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series. National PTA offers certain PTA Volunteers and Teachers a Continuing Education Scholarship.
- Enjoy Substantial Benefits. PTA members enjoy discounts and offers from a variety providers. California PTA perks include discounts with California Academy of Sciences, Legoland, UrbanSitter and Aquarium of the Pacific. National PTA offers include discounts with AARP, Blocks Rock!, Good Housekeeping, Hertz, Lenovo, LifeLock, MetLife Auto & Home, Mountain America Credit Union, Quicken Loan, Squad Locker, Tea Collection, ThinkFun and TreeRing.
Membership costs $15 for each member and is good for the school year.